Created by Chef Michael H. Flores
- 1 lb. Saffron-flavored rice (e.g., Vigo or Mahatma brands)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Raw chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tsp each Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Raw Texas wild-caught shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 links Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained
- Small box of frozen peas, thawed
- Small jar of sliced olives with pimentos, drained
Cook the rice according to the directions on the package, using olive oil instead of butter. While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan (with a cover) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red bell pepper and sauté for 2 minutes; add the garlic and cook for another minute. Next add the chicken, salt and pepper, and continue cooking for 4 minutes; stir in the shrimp and chorizo. Cook for 2 more minutes and then add the peas and beans; cover and turn heat to low.
As soon as the rice is ready, combine the two pots. Do not over-mix. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Top with olives, and serve immediately.